Department of English - Activities- 2015
Preaching the Dhamma in English Course
The final competition of the "Preaching the Dhamma in English" course was held on 26 May, 2015 to select the best Dhamma preacher in English.
- First place - Rev. M. Somananda Thero (LS/SA/2014/65)
- Second Place - Rev. G. Rathanawansa thero (LS/2014/41)
- Third place - Rev. M. Anandasiri thero (BS/2012/34)
- Fourth place - Rev. M. Sugathananda thero (LS/2013/42) and Rev. Ramaniyo Dangol thero (BS/F/2014/007)
Guest Lecture on "Research and Abstract Writing"
An academic session on ' Research Writing' was held on 30 September 2015 by Ms. Indeewarie Purnima Wickramasinghe, Visiting Lecturer at University of Moratuwa on Research Methodology.
Presentations at the First National Conference on "Youth contribution to Social Harmony, 2015"
The students of the Department of English presented research papers at the First National Conference on "Youth contribution to Social Harmony, 2015" - a conference organized by the undergraduates of the Buddhist and Pali University of Sri Lanka.
English Literary Association (ELA)
The English Literary Association is established to sharpen the language, leadership and organizational skills of the all the English medium students of the Buddhist and Pali University of Sri Lanka. The association also aims to provide the students with chances to engage in extra-curricular activities which in turn will enrich their undergraduate experience in the university life.
Office bearers - 2015
- Senior Lecturer Ms.Waruni Tennakoon, (Head of the Department)
- Lecturer (Probationary) Ms.Nipunika Dilani
- Lecturer (Temporary) Ms.Tharangi Sirisena
President - Ven. Medirigiriye Gnanaloka Thero
Secretary – Ven. Talawe Pagngnananda Thero
Junior Treasurer – Mr.Saman Kumara Jayasinghe
Vice President – Ven.Makulelle Sugathananda Thero
Assistant Secretary – Ven.Gurugodelle Rathanawansa Thero
- Two workshops to teach English grammar and basics of English Literature were held at Sri Sumananda Pirivena, Mulleriyawa and Radella Sri Pannaloka Dharmanikethana Pirivena on 09 July, 2015 and 06 November, 2011 consecutively, by the students of the English Literary Association. The practical learning hours of ENGL 32033- Second Language Teaching and Learning paper were completed by the students in taking part in the teaching process and lesson material preparations.
- A seminar for the Pirivena students who are sitting for the Pirivena Final examination this year was conducted by the English Literary Association attached to the Department of English on 5 December, 2015 from 8.30a.m - 5.00p.m at the library auditorium at the Buddhist and Pali University of Sri Lanka. The undergraduates of the Buddhist and Pali University of Sri Lanka took part in teaching and lesson material preparations. Apart from the past paper discussions, revision of some important grammar lessons, and the English literature lessons were done in the workshop. One hour special counselling lecture was also held by Mr. S.A. Sunil, Director, Counselling Unit, National Institute of Education (NIE) to instruct the students about the preparations for the examination.