Department of Religious Studies & Comparative Philosophy
B. A. General Degree Examination
RSG 302 Comparative Study of Religion
This course unit is aimed at providing students with knowledge of Comparative Study of Religion and subsequently to train them to use that methodology in studying religions comparatively.
What is Comparative study of religion and its historical evolution in the east and the west, Methodology of Comparative study of religion, Comparative Study of salvation and liberation, God, gods and divine nature, Heaven, hell and life after death, Religious truth and reality, theory of soul and mind and examination of the thesis of the oneness of all religion.
- A Buddhist Critique of the Christian Concept of God, Dharmasrri Gunapala, Colombo 1974.
- Philosophy of Religion, LewisH.P., St. Pauls Home, London, 1973.
- Gods in Early Buddhism. Marasinghe M.M.J. , Colombo 1974.
- A Comparative Study of Religion, Masih y. , Motilal Bamasidass, New Delhi 1990.
- A Comparative Study of Jainism and Buddhism, Prasad S. , Delhi 1982.
- Equality and the Religious Traditions of Asia, Siriwardana R. (Ed.) , Frances Printers, London, 1987.
Method of Teaching
- Lectures and discussions.
Method of Evaluation
- End of the academic year written examination.
- Written Examination - 80 marks
- 2 Assignments (10 marks each) -20 marks
- Total - 100 marks