Department of Religious Studies & Comparative Philosophy
B. A. General Degree Examination
RSG 301 Religion and Contemporary Issues
This course unit is intended to provide knowledge of modern religious thoughts developed in contemporary society and subsequently to train students to understand contemporary issues in related to major, religions.
Religions and sectarianism, religious fundamentalism, agnosticism and modem society, scientific discovery and its impact on religion; post modernist approa.ch to religion, industrialization, globalization and religion, religion and politics, religion and modem contemporary issues.
- Divine Knowledge and Human Language, Alston William P. , Cornell University Press. The Buddhist Critique of the Christian Concept of God, Dharmasiri Gunapa1a, Lake House Publishers, Colombo 1974.
- Theism, Dore Clement, R. Reidel Publishing Company, Dordrecht, 1984.
- Precept and Practice, Gom brich Richard, Clarendon Press, Loncon, 1971.
- Experience and Explanation of Faith, Hear Anthony O' , Routeledge & Kegan Paul, 1984.
- An Interpretation of Religion (Chapters II-V), Hick John , Yale University Press, 1989.
Method of Teaching
- Lectures and discussions.
Method of Evaluation
- End of the academic year written examination.
- Written Examination - 80 marks
- 2 Assignments (10 marks each) -20 marks
- Total - 100 marks